Via Veloce by Wille R.    since November 1995 and still here.
Back to FAQ.
First published Nov 1997   Next

Alfa Romeo Duetto 1966 - 1969 FAQ --

The Carello cowls

From Vintagecustomcars.

When Carello was born in 1876, it was a small workshop in via San Massimo that produced lights for railway carriages and horse-drawn cars. The forerunners of this long entrepreneurial epic are two brothers, Pietro and Fedele Carello, but the real protagonist is Fausto, Pietro's son.

He is the one who ferries the family business from the artisanal dimension of the production of lamps for carriages to the industrial one of the lights for the automotive industry, which took its first steps in Turin in the early twentieth century.

At the 1911 Turin international exhibition, Carello presented an innovative "parabolic ring" beacon: it was a success, so much so that, in the same year, the new factory was set up in via Petrarca 30. Until the 1950s, the company continued to expand, and in 1953 the Corso Unione Sovietica 600 factory was inaugurated, which hosted 2000 workers and employees. The last act of the long entrepreneurial adventure took place in 1988, when Fausto Carello was acquired by Magneti Marelli.

As well as numerous rallying victories, many technical innovations remain linked to the name of the Carello: the first electric lighthouse produced in Europe (1912); the introduction of the first asymmetric reflector (1957); the idea of ​​applying the halogen lamp (1962) and the first halogen fog lamp (1964) to car headlights.

The pictures show the Carello cowl on a Duetto.



If you have any comments, please send an E-mail